Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Fourth

Our super cool home teacher in his uniform.
Fourth of July!  I love this holiday because it always makes me reflect on the amazing country I live in, which seems to get lost in the shuffle of nonsense politics and agendas too often.  We live in the best country in the world with everything at our fingertips, and an amazing heritage and forefathers who tried to give us all the freedom we know today.  Corey and I tried out 'indexing' on the LDS website last weekend. I thought it was very sleuth-y, and actually really enjoyed it.  I indexed names for people living in the U.S. who were from places all over Europe with varied occupations and family situations.  I figure they left family and familiarity to come here, willingly, and so it must have offered significant hope and opportunity, and must have been worth the risk.  It was a good reminder to me of how many people appreciated the United States as a place for hope and it had me thinking and feeling grateful this week. 

I also love this holiday because it represents summer to me.  It's smack dab in the middle of it(happy and sad...only about 4 weeks left...booo), and always includes friends, family, watermelon, and fireworks.  It's pretty awesome.  My lucky little neice was born on the 4th, so we get to celbrate 2 great things...Emery and America!  This year's party was lots of fun, and we stayed late laughing and talking at Aaron and Meagan's place.  In the morning, we went to a breakfast at the Payne's house(an awesome family in the ward), and then to get Slurpees and snacks at Blakes in the afternoon. The unfortunate part was that Corey had to work the next day, so it was a really weird week, but a day off is still better, so no real complaints! The kids loved the fireworks(ok, so did I), and danced around while the sky was lighting up all over the city.


Corey's parents were here for a visit for the week, and the kids were really excited about it:)  They both just love it when family is near...grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles, it's all a treat to them, and I think it's just so sweet. 






P.S. Beck went to his first 'friend' birthday party this week. He was SO excited, and was acting all grown up about the whole thing. He's been talking about it for a couple of weeks, and had a great time...my fave was when he was just itching to give birthday boy Gavin his present. Beck waited in a line then tried to find a better way for him to open it quicker. Cute boy:)
Bearing gifts and looking a little serious, squinting into the sun, right before the party.


No comments: