Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Why everyone needs an almost 3 year old

As I am settling into my new routine of sitting around all day trying very hard not to do anything, I am finding that my almost 3 year old is not such bad company after all. Not that we didn't spend loads of time together before, but now that I have so few distractions, he is an even bigger part of my day. He not only keeps me entertained with his hilarious antics and toddler-ese, but he is actually helpful!! It's almost as if he is rising to the occasion and realizing I may actually need his help a little. Well, as much help as a pint-size kiddo can be anyway.

Case and point:

Corey's been helping with the laundry so I don't have to lift/bend so much...not good for the ol' cerclage (this too is VERY helpful). A load of laundry was in the dryer, so I asked Asher if he could get the clothes out and bring them to me so I could fold them on the couch. He was ecstatic to be given such an important task and immediately ran to the dryer to begin his chore. The best part is that it took him (no exageration) at least 25 trips to the dryer to get it all done, and he doesn't walk back and forth, he runs as fast as he can. Some trips yielded nothing more than one of his socks. When I'd ask him if he was almost done, he'd reply with, "no, there's lots more." The poor kid doesn't even realize that was only a medium sized load. We'll need to work up to a large one. All I had to do was sit on the couch and fold, and the clothes came to me. Asher has certainly been an untapped resource until now!

  • Who else would read me books about counting and the alphabet?
  • Who else would beg me to do everything for himself? (Not even our 'grown-up' husbands do that)
  • Who else would go get their own underwear, all the way upstairs when they have an accident?
  • Who else would accept a reward of hugs, kisses and the occasional well earned cup of hot cocoa (with a pile of whip cream) for a job well done?
  • Who else would take a nap every afternoon just so I can take it easy and even take a nap myself if I so wish?
  • Who else would let me play Candy Land and Memory every day with him?
  • Who else yells, "Dion, no bark!" when Dion starts his incessant doggie rants?
  • Who else tells me he "loves me more" when I put him down for naps?

I love my little boy and I seriously can't imagine how bored I'd be without him here to keep me company, and I am so lucky to have such a good helper! ( I actually mean that...mostly).

Asher's reward for helping mommy. The story (in pictures) of the cup of cocoa that was TOO hot. Poor baby! I felt so bad. How could something so delicious be so mean? My fault.


Mmmm.






P.S. I am in no way affiliated or in support of those promoting child labor.

13 comments:

Hi I'm Lindsey! said...

Love the post. Kids are so precious and priceless and it's good to have reminders of that. He is such a good kid. Let me know when (not if) I can help you:)

Meagan Reitz said...

That's so funny. I can just oicture him running back and forth at top speed! He's so funny.

DA & J said...

I am glad that you have such a great litle helper!

Alisha Joy said...

LOVE IT! I got all choked up . . . but I blame that on my own pregnancy. So dang sweet and so dang cute.

Mindi B said...

That's so darling! 3 year olds can be so underestimated, but man, when it's time to step up, they are right on it.

Melissa said...

I hope with your taking it easy you have more time to blog - your posts are so hilarious!! The mental picture of little Asher running back and forth to deliver the laundry totally made my day!

The Kovac Family said...

Kylin and I laughed hard at this...we can picture all too well little Asher with a huge smile running back and forth! What a great helper!

jen said...

That little Asher is a sweetie pie! What a sweet post about him. Isn't being a mommy the BEST thing in the entire world?! My almost 3 year old is so fun right now too (except for the store tantrums).

Eric and Tiffany Kerbs said...

You are such a cute mommy. I hope you are feeling good, and I am glad you have a great little guy who helps out. Too cute!

Cheryl J. said...

How sweet! I hope your next little bundle of joy is just as thoughtful and adorable!

The Albuquerque Sheps said...

I agree everyone needs a little boy in there life. No I have not seen Twilight yet. I can't believe it. Since I've waited so long, I probibly wont see it 'till it gets to the $1 movie. Sounds like you guys are doing well.

Jackie Pettit said...

Oh so sweet! I can totally see him running back and forth with a sock in each hand :) So cute. I am glad you have a little buddy to keep you company.

Melody said...

You know, I think I've always secretly wished for bed rest during my pregnancies-- what's not to love about being forced to take it easy while other people do the work for you? :) But then I remember how frustrating it must be and I realize I wouldn't be able to stand it for very long. I'm glad that cute little guy keeps you entertained. Hang in there!