Sunday, January 4, 2009

Baby News

Baby boy Reitz now has a name! Well, at least a first one. We've decided to name him Beckett. Corey and Asher wore me down weeks ago, calling him by name every chance they got. I have issues with picking a name too quick, knowing that the name we pick is one that will be his for the rest of his life! It was just about the only one we had both liked, but, again, the finality of it was too much too fast for me, so it took a while. Asher actually calls him "Baby Bucket, " which still makes me laugh.

About 2 weeks ago we had some great news about our baby and my pregnancy. Our little guy was measuring in the 80th percentile for growth and everything looked great as far as he was concerned. They also checked out how the cerclage was holding up, and it looked even better than expected, which put me at ease and increased my optimism tenfold. We were much less worried over the holidays because of our fantastic checkup. We also have a few fantastic 3-D/4-D images they sent us home with (I'll post those later). He is such a little cutie already!

A few days ago, I had another appointment with the perinatologists to see how things were going (it's been 2 weeks since our last stellar visit). Again, baby looks great. We did get some pretty bad news though. My cerclage is still in place, but this time I've lost over 2 centimeters, and if I lose another 1/2 centimeter in length, then I'll be hospitalized. My days of sitting around trying to take it easy are over and I've been put on bedrest for real. The immediate goal is 30 weeks and I'm doing my best to get there first. For my appointments, they've even insisted on my riding in a wheelchair to and from the office. We knew this sort of scenerio could be a possibility, but things had been going so smoothly that we had pretty much discounted that it would.

So, we are mentally preparing ourselves for what may come much sooner than expected. We are so excited to meet our Beckett, but we would much rather wait until he's had more time to be ready to meet us. Every day counts, and we are praying that we have many more ahead of us before he arrives.

11 comments:

DA & J said...

Sorry for the bad news. Let me know if there is anything I can to do help you.

Bella said...

Awww Beckett is cute! Where did you come up with it? I wish I were there and I could come take Asher for you! We'll be praying that he will stay in there for as long as needed. I can't wait to see ultrasound pics!

Missy 'n Danny said...

Oh bedrest with a three year old, that should be fun. We will be praying that you keep that baby nice and warm as long as you can. How early was Asher born? Was it at 35 weeks?

Danna said...

That baby of yours is a fighter so I think everything will go good. It is still scary though and we pray for you everyday. Love you lot's and you are always in our thoughts :)

Jamie Lyn said...

What a cute name!!! I will keep u and ur family in my prayers... If there is anything i can do let me know!!!

Matt and Amber said...

I love that name!!! It's actually one of my favorites! We'll be crossing our fingers for you. How is bedrest with a 3 year old anyway??? lol... I bet he's entertaining. He looks like such a sweetie Michelle! I don't think I've seen him since he was crawling! We'll all have to get together next time you guys are in town. Good luck! Your new little guy is in our prayers!

Silly Teacher said...

Beckett..love it! My son Thomas and yours Beckett. Thomas Beckett 12 century English Martyr. Right on...yes the fines are lower about 65 dollars...grrr!

Alisha Joy said...

Hang in there! And I love the name Beckette. I know what you mean about names, it's way stressful picking a name for life. Beckette is a good choice. We're rooting for your little one.

jen said...

I'm sure your family and friends in NM are taking excellent care of you! I feel for you. I have never heard the name Beckett before. I love it!

Misty said...

Michelle, we are definitely praying for you guys. Hope all goes well and you make it as far as you can before your little guy comes into the world. Hugs to you and yours.
The Buck Family

Melissa said...

I think I like Bucket better ;) Actually, Beckett is such a great name!