Saturday, January 10, 2009

Miracles do happen

After finding out about my cervix that was once again not doing it's job (keeping the baby safely inside), we were inundated with help. I've been able to focus on being a professional incubator, while friends swooped in to help with Asher. To keep me laying down and totally inactive, these amazing friends have even been serving me breakfast and lunch(sounds great, but it's a little weird when you feel fine). Fantastic dinners have been showing up at our door as well, which has been a huge relief to Corey who is studying for the Bar Exam, as well as making sure we are all doing OK. I'm hoping Corey isn't paying too much attention to the superiority of all the good food, lest the bar be raised to high for me post baby. Uh-oh. We have been taken care of, served and loved without ever asking and I am astounded by it all. We are so thankful for all the kindness and help we're receiving! And Asher's never had so much fun. He kisses my cheek and excitedly waves good-bye.
Earlier in the week, we had a very nerve wracking, much anticipated follow-up appointment to the shocker last week. I'd been very strict (again, thanks to all the help) to stay down all week. Just before the ultrasound, the nurse practitioner who was seeing us did say that sometimes you can get a little length back although not always, which was a shock to us since we thought that was an impossibility and that it could only get worse. She checked me out, and she and the tech assisting her could not believe what they were seeing, and double checked to be sure before giving us the news. I gained back 1.8 cm in that week, and I could tell by their reactions that this was not a normal occurrence (I think they used the words "Whoa!!" and "Super Cervix"). Corey and I were stunned and thrilled. I was told to keep doing exactly what I'm doing, and that they'd check again in a week. By the time we made it to the car (for me via wheelchair, Corey thinks he's a rickshaw driver) we were both near tears from the news. If nothing else, we've been given a huge dose of hope and faith, and enough time for Beckett to grow a little more. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for all the support, thoughts, fasting and prayers we've received, and I am certain that what we saw at the appointment this week was nothing short of a miracle.




A few of the ultrasound images from a few weeks back. I still think it's amazing what technology can show us. The ultrasound techs at the last few visits have told us he has chubby cheeks and a bunch of hair. We'll see!

14 comments:

Alisha Joy said...

SOOOO cute!! Love the 4d photos. I think I need to go get them taken. And awesome news about the cervix!! We'll keep praying for you.

Danna said...

Oh michelle we are so happy about your good news! You must have been so relieved to know you can keep him in there for a little while longer. Keep your human incubator skills up! Those 4d pictures are incredible! Wow! He is so cute already!

Liz said...

I must have missed your last post because I was shocked to read this! I am so very happy that your "super cervix" is cooperating and that Beckett is still snug inside. Stay put baby!!!

jen said...

Congratulations on the good news. Yay for the cervix:). Keep doing what you are doing! Those pictures are awesome. Now I'm regretting that I never did that. SO cool! He's a cutie.

Bella said...

Those pics are so cool! He looks so cute! We are so happy about this set of news, and pray that he gets as much time as possible. The only sad thing is I don't like about this post is that I am not there helping to take care of Asher and bring you GREAT meals like soup! hahah (Just think back to last time we saw you). We miss you much and your still in our prayers! Love ya!

Mindi B said...

Wow! What a blessing! I can't believe those photos! I know I've had five kids, but I have never seen anything like that. I hope everything continues to go well for you and your baby!

Melissa said...

Those photos are cool - he looks so adorable! The Lord totally knew what he was doing when he organzied the church into wards. I would have been totally sunk many times if it weren't for the service of my fellow ward members.

Pamela said...

We need to get our cervixes together, mine is overcompetent!

I am looking forward to having Asher, and don't you fret everyone feels as equally blessed to be able to help!!! So incubate away.

Meagan Reitz said...

Hooray for your cervix!!

Cheryl J. said...

Wow! Those pictures ARE cool. I had the old fashioned, can't really tell what the baby looks like ultrasound pictures LOL. I hope you are feeling great today!

Stephen and Effie said...

I am so happy that so many people are helping you out, I was worried about that for you. What a stressful time. I am glad to hear it turned around, so stick to the doctors orders. I whish we could get Dallen and Asher together, they would have fun talking, playing the Island of Sodor. Does he have Lego Thomas? If not you should definately get them

NatRat said...

That is awesome Michelle! That really is a blessing:) I love the name, Beckett is darling. What a little stud he will be. The 4 d photos are awesome, I can't believe what they can do these days.

Becky said...

What a cutie! And I LOVE LOVE the name Beckett! Hang in there!

Adrienne Engar said...

Wow, that is amazing! That totally sucks that you have to be on bed rest but it will all be worth it in the end and once the baby comes you will wish you could still be on bed rest...at least I do. Anyway, hang in there and I love the name you chose.