Wednesday, February 4, 2009

His entourage




It seems as though most kids have a security item of one kind or another, be it blankies, binkies, or a stuffed animal. I know I had one of those soft blankets with the satin edging as a kid and I adored that thing. As a baby, Asher didn't get attached to anything in particular, which was both good and bad. Good because I didn't have to search the house for a needle in a haystack before bed every night, bad because there was not a special trick I could use to calm him down.
Throughout the past year, however, he has slowly been accumulating several such items. First, there is the "white pillow." This is an all satin, white, baby-ish mini pillow with his name embroidered on it. We had it in his crib, then he insisted on sleeping on it when we moved him to the toddler bed. His fingers have always found their way to an open seam, which he sticks his fingers into. Next, there's "puppy." He has been a favorite friend for a while now too. He's a bean-bag type of stuffed animal; also on the small side. There was a time when I was cutting out paper dog bones for him so that Dion (our real dog) could have his bones back. Lastly, there is "elephant" (he just hasn't gotten too creative with names yet). He is the most recent addition and was acquired during a recent trip to the Hogle Zoo. Collectively, these three are referred to as "the buddies."
The buddies have become very important. Every morning when he pads into my room, they are with him...all of them. If they aren't with him, he immediately goes right back, returning with his arms full. Sometimes he will leave them with me for a short time while he goes and does something else...I get to babysit. He talks to them. When Puppy bites him, we have to put him in "time out." Puppy played CandyLand with us recently, and he had to move his own piece. He tried to get me to let White Pillow play a game of Memory, and I had to draw the line. W.P. doesn't even have an arm, how was that going to work?
The real problems come at bedtime. Inevitably, one of the three are always MIA. Asher lays in his bed chanting,"I want my Puppy" or whatever buddy happens to have gone missing. Once found, ah, silence and peace. The worst is how somehow in the middle of the night, he'll wake up missing one of them. I'm not sure if he somehow takes inventory in his sleep, but he always knows if one has left the nest. If one's missing, they might as well all be missing.
So, Asher and his Buddies are a common sight these days, and it totally cracks us up. What a funny phase. And it's probably a good thing for him to have his comfort items...all three of them.

8 comments:

DA & J said...

That is like Nathan and his "burper". WE can't go anywhere without it and yes, just like Asher, if he is missing it in the middle of the night, he lets us all know. I do think it is cute that Asher does have his little buddies. Oh, and good luck with Corey studying for the bar. He must be getting pretty nervous! I am sure that he will do great on it though.

Missy 'n Danny said...

I love that picture! Addy is the same way but now that she is older I can talk her out of having to find everything she wants to sleep with.

Life is a Blessing said...

i love it!!! my girls have "purple... ashley's is purple and hailey's is pink i traided her after her making it paper thin) and Zach has one too his is blue but the girls call it "purple". funny how things are but they love em' and i still have my blankie :) nothing makes you feel more secure or feel better when sick then you "purple" maybe you should find one!! :)
hope all is well B

Alisha Joy said...

Love it! Diesel always falls for super little things too and he ALWAYS looses them in the night. He's gotten over making a fuss about it, but it use to make me crazy. Once he wanted to sleep with a little piece of string he had been playing with. Kids! Hilarious.

Alisha Joy said...

ps. Loved the part about W.P. playing memory. Had me cracking up and Jed asked what was so funny. . . I tried to explain it, but Dad's just don't get it! Also, Diesel names everything just what they are too. . . I think it's a boy things. Girls get real creative.

Liz said...

So cute! Avery has her "girls" that she totes everywhere (polly pockets)...they all have their own names but collectively they are the "girls". It ireally is cute how they get so attached.

jen said...

That is adorable!!!!

Danna said...

That little Asher is too cute and such a funny character. Stories about him always make us smile. If it means anything, I still have my blankie! I was pretty upset when Ryan forgot to grab it at my house before our honeymoon. haha I am pretty pathetic, I know. We all have to be attached to something though right? Unless you're Asher then you are attached to 3 :)