Monday, February 2, 2009

In my room

One would think that laying around in bed all day would lend itself to deep thoughts, self realization and an unlimited amount of time to blog. I have done none of these things. It's hard to find something to write about when you feel like you are doing next to nothing (besides making a human being, of course). I spend my days doing a lot of reading, a little shopping (what would I do without the internet), figuring out how to use my new camera, and learning French. The camera is like a big tease, making me want to jump up and run downstairs, or (dare I say it) outside to try it out! These four walls that surround me all day offer very little as far as photo subjects are concerned.
My poor Asher has been a good sport about the whole thing, but I think it's been a little hard on him. It breaks a little piece of my heart when he grabs my hand and asks me to come play trains with him, and I say I can't right now. We do have our fun playing games, computer games and reading books, but he's such a high energy kid that I fear he's a little on the bored side most of the time.
Corey's mom, Claudia has been kind enough to be our "caretaker" for a while, which has been a really huge help to all of us. We appreciate her time and effort and willingness to serve us during this time when we are so in need. Heaven knows we couldn't do this without her. I just hope we don't burn her out. Taking care of a busy 3 year old, a pregnant lady on bedrest and her son who is studying for the BAR exam can't be all that easy.
I have my snappy, irritated, I've-lost-all-control-of-my-life moments and I make comments about things that are really insignificant (ie..."that's not the kind of toothpaste I wanted"). I think if I was taking care of someone like me I would just shove the food through a flap door and run (think prison in the Chateau d'If in the Count of Monte Cristo) for fear of some random pregnancy and hormone induced retaliation. At least that's what I feel like inside at times, and hopefully I am handling this better on the surface. I'd hate to scare away loved ones and friends.
In all honesty most days are okay. Long, but fine. Strangely, the weeks seem to be going by fast, but the days are crawling. I find some comfort in knowing we'll look back on this couple of months and shrug our shoulders and sigh.
I am so excited to bring this little guy home, safe and healthy, so I'll do what needs to be done without a doubt. I know what a miracle it is for every baby to enter this world, and I feel lucky to be able to have that chance at all.
And so, I will continue my "restful" period, knowing that it will be over with before I know it. By then I'll wish I could have some of this down time stashed away for all the midnight feedings and sleepless nights still to come. Ah, well, the grass is always greener, right?

11 comments:

Liz said...

You are so close, Michelle!! I can't imagine how hard it must be to be on mandated bed-rest...way harder than anyone knows for sure. I'm glad you guys have help and that there is an end in sight. Hang in there!!

Life is a Blessing said...

oh Shell, i miss seeing your beautiful smiling face at church, and we think of you often.... just rememebr this is ALL worth it, and the hormone thing i'm sure it's not as bad as you feelit is... i'm sure "grandma" is having the time of her life and just think a couple more weeks and you'll be bringing home this treasure that's been loved and carefully takin care of!!! we wish all the luck, and remember if you need anything please let me know!!!

Hi I'm Lindsey! said...

You are great! I seriously think you are handling this amazingly. You are in our prayers and we will visit more to break up the day a little:) We all need a little break up in the day and so it will be good for us too:)

jen said...

It sounds like you are handling things just fine. It will all be over soon and you'll have a sweet little guy to show for it!

Cheryl J. said...

We all miss you and are glad you are doing well. Don't stress about being a little irritable...it's understandable considering your situation. How are things looking lately?

Melissa said...

I love the shoving the food through the flap in the door idea - so funny! I'm sure you are being more than kind considering your situation. A mother's job is rarely glamourous and often not very exciting, but it's essential and the Lord will bless you immensely for each moment you lay there!

Mindi B said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for you that you have to be down, but I am so impressed by your sweet optimism. As nice and easy going as I think I am, I'm pretty sure I would be a bear if I had to endure bed rest - I would go crazy. You are such a great mommy and seem to be so unselfish in everything. I hope you get to enjoy this time, before life puts you back to work again. (Kudos on the learning French! Way to make good use of your time!!)

Missy 'n Danny said...

You are so amazing, it is hard to imagine how it would be to have to stay in one place. Call me anytime you are bored and we can chat.

Danna said...

You are doing so good Shell! You are almost there! Just keep imagining that beautiful boy in your arms and all the trials you have had will be worth it. I know I can't relate at all to what you are feeling right now. However, the being trapped inside pretty much all by yourself I can. I wish I could come visit you to maybe make a few hours of your day go by a little quicker. We are always thinking about you and love you! Call me if you ever just want to talk.

The Kovac Family said...

You are amazing! And almost done, I too like everyone else wish we were closer. Koleson would be the perfect remedy for Asher's long days- and maybe even tire him out! We love you!!!

Becky said...

That SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS