Wednesday, March 11, 2009

At Home



I am relieved to be able to say that our Beckett has finally come home. We were expecting at least a 4 week stay, and were pleasantly surprised when the Doctors told us he could come home after nearly 3 weeks. Bringing him home hasn't been without it's stresses though. He came home on oxygen, which is helping him to thrive until he can do a little better on his own. The idea of having him hooked up to a tank all day gave me anxiety at first, but we're slowly getting the hang of it and are adjusting to a newborn with baggage. It could be much worse though, and I'd rather have him here than in the NICU any day. He's getting bigger too...already he's up to 7 lbs. 5 oz. and gaining. Asher was thrilled that he was finally able to meet his new little brother. Asher's first comments were: "Look Mom, look, He came out!" (As if I didn't know this part...so funny), he also said that "Buckett" needs milk and toys. What a very intuitive brother he is already. It's been a bit crazy trying to keep Asher at a safe distance though...a healthy, term newborn would be tricky enough, but a premature newborn is even harder. My 3 year old petri dish means well, but its hard for me not to try to keep him from grabbing his hands and kissing his cheeks. All in all, we are adjusting, doing well, and enjoying our new family of 4. Having all my boys home and under the same roof is such a treat.



One extra bonus during all this craziness is that Corey took the BAR exam. Studying for the thing was a nightmare for all of us. He was gone all day long studying like mad, and we are SO relieved it's done. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him to focus on the exam with all the delivery and baby issues going on. What a trooper. And I love having him as a dad and husband at night instead of a student. I don't think I actually knew what I was missing until now, which is probably a good thing. Beckett's initials spell out B.A.R., which is NOT the reason we named him what we did, but it was kind of a fun coincidence, so we let it be. It will be a little reminder of some of what was going on when Beckett was born.
Asher has been what I would consider a totally normal 3 year old under our current circumstances, which equates to him being sometimes naughty and trying. We are doing a LOT of "time out." It's as if his vocabulary tripled overnight and he is a little grown-up. The other day he said to me, "Hellooooo mom, do you hear me?" Huh? What's with the attitude?! I guess he's got a mind of his own and he is asserting that. Sometimes I am just trying not to laugh while disciplining him and playing authoritative mom. He also looks HUGE to me now that Beckett is home. Funny how your perspective changes.



All the boys at home together.


Asher was fascinated by Beckett's little feet.


I think Ash would spend all day doing this if I let him, but I'm still too protective!
He sure does love his lil' bro.


Chubby cheeks chillin' on Dad.




P.S. I have so many amazing friends who have helped me out (and are continuing to do so!) throughout all of this. A few of my fabulous pals sent this to our family a few days back. Chocolate covered anything is the perfect way to make someone's day. Might I add that they tasted especially delicious at 2:30 in the morning. Mmmmm. Thanks so much, we loved them!



17 comments:

Danna said...

Shel I am so happy you got to bring your little guy home! You have been on my mind a lot lately and I am so glad to hear things are going good. I have been meaning to call you, but I am always worried I will wake you up or you will be feeding or something. I know how crazy days can get with a newborn and your situation is double mine! I can't even imagine. Little Beckett looks perfect and I hope we get to meet him sometime soon! Love you!

Becky said...

Nevermind on the facebook comment! Yea! What a sweetie "Bucket" is!

Pamela said...

I am so glad you guys are doing well!

Stephen and Effie said...

Gald to see some new pictures of your little guy. I am happy for you that he is home, I can only imagine how neverous you must be. Hang in there

Alisha Joy said...

He is soooooo cute!! And you look fabulous. So happy he's home.

Melissa said...

Asher looks so cute in the pictures with his little brother - what a pair. I remember thinking that Quinton had a huge head compared to little newborn Lilly. It sounds like you are all adjusting very well - no suprise. We will keep our fingers crossed for Corey's BAR results - I hope it doesn't take too long to find out he passed :)

Liz said...

Um, I don't know how I missed it, but I didn't even know you had delivered! CONGRATULATIONS!! Holy crap, he's adorable! I'm so happy for you guys! Congrats on getting the bar out of the way, too, that is huge! Welcome to the world, Bucket!!

Mindi B said...

I am so happy for you that you finally have him home. I can't imagine all that you have been through, but you are amazing and will do fabulous with it all! That's funny that his initials are B.A.R. - Hope all went well with the Bar Exam!

DA & J said...

I am glad that you are all doing well and done with the hospital. Beckett is so cute!

Tina said...

I am so excited to see that you all made it home!! And that little "Bucket" is doing well.

NatRat said...

Yeah! He is home. What a relief:) I think I might have told you this, Bode had oxygen for like the first month of being home, and I thought it was such a pain too, it gets easier and then when they get it off, it is so exciting, it is like a whole new world. He is darling and you look GREAT!

jen said...

He is so precious. I love his chubby cheeks! You also look amazing! I sure didn't look like that after I had a baby. I hope you are getting some sleep!

Owen's Mommy said...

Thanks for stopping to say hi on my blog. Congrats, your baby is beautiful!!!! I am sorry things haven't been easier, but I hope they will soon.

* said...

WONDERFUL!!! I am so glad he is home. Spending so much time in the hospital had to be hard. He is VERY cute and he has gained weight so fast. It is hard to get the older kids to not want to attack the baby once he comes home but it wears off quickly so don't worry.

What state bar did your hubby take? I hated when Ty took the bar then just last year he took the Texas bar too. WHat a PAIN!!!

Seneca said...

Beckett is gorgeous! Congrats! I can't even imagine how hard its been having him in the ICU, you recovering, your husband busy studying, not to mention you have a 3 year old. You guys have been busy! I'm so glad that he's home with you...Oh he's beautiful! Asher is the cutest big brother ever! I hope your doing great! Love ya!

Melody said...

I can't imagine how hard it must've been having him in the hospital for so long and Corey taking the bar exam in the midst of it all-- yikes! It's so cute that Asher calls him "Bucket" :) You look great, by the way!
-Melody

THE KNELL CREW said...

Congrats on your baby! I am so glad everything worked out okay! It was nice to meet up with you on FB lets keep in touch! Send me your email on FB and I can send you an invite to my blog if you are interested :)talk to you soon- Natalie