Wednesday, August 14, 2013

First Day of School

Ah, the first day of school.  It used to be one of my favorite things as a kid, but as a parent I am a fence sitter.  I love it because there is less fighting and Asher is excited to go back.  A happy school kid equals a happy mom.  I don't love it because then he's gone.  Again.  And that makes me sad.  I miss just having everyone together and free to go and do whatever we want.  Summer is free time, fun time and family time, and things just get so busy once school is in again.  This year looks to be the same.  We are already talking about soccer season times two, preschool and school events, basketball season, Lobo football games, and more.
This year, Asher starts the Second Grade, and will have Ms. Thorne as a teacher, who we met a few days before school started and she seems very energized and nice.  He was so excited on the first day!  Corey, as always, went in late to work and came along for the big morning, which is always fun.
Asher's lunchbox choice is always an ordeal.  This year he had his heart set on a UNM Lobos lunchbox, which really doesn't exist.  Trust me, I looked high and low.  With a little ingenuity, we came up with a solution that involved a Costco lunchbox with a Lobos iron-on patch.  Voila.  It's pretty awesome, and I think Ash should watch it or his Dad may snag it for his own!  Hopefully this one lasts more than a few months.  I'm crossing my fingers.
Beckett happily informed me that with Asher at school, we are going to be playing lots of games together.  That first day we came home for few matches of Hi-Ho Cherry-O.  I am thankful to still have a little buddy at home.  Next year may well kill me.  Just the other day, Corey and I were talking to Beck about preschool, and he turned to me and said, "Mom, next year there won't be anyone home with you.  You'll be all alone." Stab. Me. Through. The. Heart.  Ouch.  He's right though!  I think Corey was caught between laughing and shedding a tear for me.  He gave me the 'ah, I'm sorry' look to be safe:)
This will be a great year for Asher, and I'm excited to watch and help him to learn and grow.
 Here's to the 2nd Grade!

No comments: