Thursday, August 18, 2016

Piano Boys


This year, the boys both started piano lessons with Jackie Walker, an awesome lady from our church. They were both excited and a little nervous to try something so new and different.  I'll admit, it was a little rough at first getting them to practice and helping them through the frustration of doing something new and sometimes hard (and I know this will continue on and off, sigh...), but I think they are both really enjoying it now.  I love hearing them plunking out a new song and I love hearing them confidently playing one they've practiced at.  These pics are (sadly not great...I forgot my good camera!) ones I took at their recital in May.  Asher played the Star Wars theme song, and Beckett played Blue Suede Shoes (along with others, but these were their favorites). The boys both did fantastic!  They were both proud and satisfied with their performances.  It's so awesome to see their love for creating and understanding music beginning to blossom.  Over the summer,  they both played more on their own, and even started playing songs they like by ear.  Awesomeness.  Beck started tinkering with 'Come Thou Fount' (my favorite) without realizing it was a real song, he just thought it sounded familiar...we were surprised to say the least.  He also figured out parts of 'Hedwig's Theme', the main theme from the Harry Potter movies.  I printed out some sheet music for 'Come Thou Fount' and Asher can now play it, as well as a Newsies song, and others from the radio he's been figuring out on his own by ear.  I'm so proud of them and I love it when they want to go and play because they simply enjoy it.  Lessons are about to start up again in the next few weeks, and I'm looking forward to seeing what new songs they start playing this year.  Love my piano boys!



No comments: