Monday, March 31, 2008

Stuff on a Saturday



This past Saturday was one of those where we had a million little house projects to work on. Yard, house, stupid broken sprinklers, etc. I am planting a garden this year...a little more than just tomatoes, which seems a little ambitious since last year even those didn't turn out so well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and watering, so we'll see. But, there are some little snap pea leaves popping up, so I have reason to be optimistic! So, Asher and I spent some time in the yard (ah, such nice weather that day!), and Corey began tackling the rest.

Corey spent the morning with Dain trying to fix a few of our sprinkler problems, but to no avail. You know it's bad when there is a stream of water gushing out from underneath the stone pathway in the front yard. You know its even worse when one entire section in the backyard won't even turn on. Maybe there are evil little creatures that sneak into your pipes during the winter to wreak havoc for the unsuspecting homeowners. All I know is that they were working without a hitch when we turned them off last fall.

Later in the afternoon, Corey's brother Aaron came by to help him finish some other projects they started weeks ago. These projects were of the knocking-holes-in-the-wall variety, you know, the kind that drive you crazy because you feel like you are living in a condemned dwelling? Okay, they weren't that bad, but my point is they are not finished. The two of them went to the local Ace Hardware store where Aaron found some wind-up wooden airplanes they had played with as kids, and they bought 4 of them. Once they got back, all chances of anything getting fixed were disappearing fast, and the planes stole the show. Asher thought they were the greatest thing ever, and offered to retrieve the planes after each so-called 'flight.' There are a few things that can turn men into boys again (ie fireworks, remote control cars), and these airplanes reverted those two right back to 10 year olds.

And so, the projects remain, and I am considering learning how to re-texture a wall and cut sheet rock myself. They did have a good time though, and I can't be mad at that.


The handymen hard at work.



Asher letting Corey hold 'his' plane.



Oops, stuck in a tree.

Later that evening some friends of ours, the Shepherds, had a BBQ at their house with a fun group of old friends. They always put a personalized touch to their shin-digs, which makes them that much more fun! All of us have little boys ranging in age from 2 to 4 (Asher is the youngest) but they all played great together, and the rest of us had fun catching up and eating way too much. Thanks for the great evening you guys!





Hmmm, something not quite right here. Looks like we may need a little batting practice!




P.S. Asher started calling me 'babe' today. What? Corey sometimes calls me that, but it is cracking me up to hear it coming out of my little boy's mouth. He still doesn't call Corey Dad or Daddy...he calls him Corey. Funny kid.

5 comments:

Danna said...

Oh my goodness. Babe!! That is hillarious. Him saying Corey is still one of my favorites though. I love the comment about men turning back in to boys. Although, I think with almost anything Cory turns into a little boy and gets so excited. haha. Especially with guitar hero and the football game. We miss you! Good luck with the yard work! Glad we don't have to tackle that one yet.

Cheryl J. said...

LOL...And I thought we all worked hard Saturday cleaning out attic and garage. You put us to shame :-)

Alisha Joy said...

Loved those stories! I can't tell you how many times jed has gotten distracted with a toy during a project. "Wow, look at this, my old baseball cards!!" . . when he's suppose to be cleaning the garage, Sheeesh!

Liz said...

Oh, look at that sunshine!! I am so envious of your weather, babe!!

Yes, boys and their toys. Rod needs his snowmobile and jetski and heaven forbid, his bullet bike. I swear, sometimes I wonder if he will ever get over his adrenaline seeking, LOL!

Stephen and Effie said...

It seems like you guys are always doing house stuff. So are you guys there for good? We will eb in Utah in June, any chance you will be? I would love to see you.