Monday, June 9, 2008

Roughing It...



Or at least that's what we thought it was. I mean, we did actually have a lovely little outhouse just for our use. Corey and I have only been camping ONE time since we've been married, which is really sad. He just can't get past the idea of packing up half the garage for an overnight venture that leaves you filthy, hungry and tired. And having to put it all back and clean everything the next day thrills him even more. This is incredibly ironic considering he was a master scouter growing up; he even worked at a scout camp one summer! Plus, his dad is a forester, and loves the great outdoors. Camping is practically part of his DNA. I, on the other hand enjoy camping and always give Corey a hard time for not wanting to go. So, you can imagine my surprise when Corey called me from Orlando asking if I wanted to go camping. YES! So, after an emergency trip to Walmart and REI, and a few borrowed essentials from Aaron (one of Corey's pro-camping brothers) we were ready. We went with two other families, the Thomasons and the Kings, which really is the way to do it...it keeps the kids occupied and the adults have people to talk to! Keep in mind, this was a bit of a trial run for our poor little wilderness deprived family, so the more things that went right, the better.

The good news is that I don't have any horror stories to share (this time), although that would have made a much more interesting blog posting.

Here's some pics of our camping experience:

Lindsey and Meg sampling the food. Danny cooked up some amazing Salmon he caught in Ketchikan, Alaska...Wow, was it good! (sorry, Liz, he was one of those cruise tourists you so love!) Oh, and did I mention this one is 8 and a half months pregnant? What a trooper!!

Check out those dirty little hands. Isn't Meg such a little cutie?


I love s'mores! I am one of those weirdos who makes them in the microwave sometimes when I have a sweet tooth. A roasted marshmallow sure does beat a nuked one!

Boys and their fire. (Danny and Corey)



Adam stopped by to say hi! He just happened to be in the neighborhood (he's fighting fire in the forest about 20 minutes away).


Shannon with all the kiddos.


Asher's first try with a fishing rod. (The pink pole is Brooke's, we'll have to get Asher a BOYS one for future use.) And next time maybe we'll catch one...after we teach Corey to clean out the fish!


Aaron and his girls (Brooke and Meg).


Heading home with cookie and milk Chug...


...15 minutes later.

I think we might even try this again! Aside from Asher burning his hand on the grill, and me losing my extra photo card, I think think this camping trip was a success!




7 comments:

Liz said...

Hey now!! I don't hate all the tourists here...they are what puts food on our table, LOL! I just get frustrated with some of the folks who are so clueless. I guess you could say that I don't like the stupid tourists. ;)

Bella said...

awwww, it makes me so jealous! Looks like you guys had a ton of fun. I miss NM for that reason! Asher is so darn cute! I think you need to send him up here so we can keep him!

Alisha Joy said...

Fun. I love camping . . . as long as their is a toilet! Love the photo of the ride home. So dang cute!

Alisha Joy said...

Also, how do you put the thing that shows when people update the blog? I can't figure it out.

Cheryl J. said...

WHAT...Lindsey went camping 8 or whatever months pregnant? She sure is a trooper :-) I was laughing at your post because I had a microwave s'more for dinner last night and that was pretty much it...LOL.

Pamela said...

Hey, I know some of those people :) Looks super fun! I am glad that you guys hada good time!

jen said...

A milk jug & cookie in the car?!!! You are one nice mom. You look way too cute in that picture for camping.