Thursday, July 10, 2008

Beached



Summer and swimming...practically synonymous, right? Not unless the water is at least 70 degrees. Asher is almost done with his first week of swimming lessons. It's a Parent-Tot class, which (sigh) means I have to get in too. I have never been a fan of cold water, and this pool is FREEZING cold. I thought kids just swam around like fish regardless of the water temperature. Not so with our Asher. After suffering for 15 minutes, he starts clinging to me and yelling, "Cold! Cold! I get out!" Only after his lips start turning blue, his skin is nothing but goosebumps and his teeth are chattering do I finally concede and let him get out. He spends the second half of his lesson laying on the sunbaked cement next to the pool watching the rest of the kids suffer with their parents. It has become a ritual, and honestly, it's not one I am averse to. I want him to be totally comfortable in the water, and those City Parks and Rec people are doing everything in their power to thwart my plan! Thankfully this session is only 2 weeks long, so if I sign up for another one, it will be later in the afternoon for sure. In the meantime, I wake up every morning dreading that blasted pool, and hoping that when they say "This pool is heated," that they really mean it.

There's Asher, chillin' by the lifeguard, and soaking up the rays (with all that sunscreen on).

6 comments:

Josh said...

Ah how we miss seeing little Asher, but oh fun it is to here the stories. Poor guy a cold pool is never fun but at least he is learning to hang out with the girl life guards...you better watch him. good luck and hope your next pool is heated. We miss you guys!

Liz said...

I miss outdoor pools! My poor kids don't even know what a "real" summer is like!

Becky said...

How funny. I remember as a lifeguard hating TEACHING swim lessons because we had to get in the cold pool early morning with the kids!

J. Anderson Family said...

He is such a cutie!!!

Danna said...

That brings back some fun memories for me of lifeguarding and teaching swimming lessons. The 8:00 a.m. class was always the worst because the pool was freezing and the little ones were not happy! We used to play this game where we would say "want us to turn up the heat in the water?" Of course they would all scream yes so we would tell them to all get out of the water, stand on the side of the pool, turn around 5 times, and hurry and get back in. It was the funniest thing ever and the water was always a little warmer when they got back in. Little did they know they had to get colder to make it warmer! I just rememner all these little 3 year olds turning around and their bodies just a shakin! Anyway, just thought I would share that with you. Good luck with the swim lessons!

Jeff Stoner Construction said...

I remember those days, getting out of the pool with numb thumbs and blue lips! Fun memories though. Hope you are good - your family looks beautiful!