Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thomas the Tank Engine's Night Out

Asher had been waiting for Halloween all month long, and was ready to try out his "trick-or-treat" for real. Every time we asked him what he was going to get when we went trick-or treating, his response was, "candy, and water." I still can't figure out why water...was he anticipating how thirsty he'd be after all that candy? Where'd he get that idea. I wonder if he was disappointed when people weren't handing out bottled water too. Doubt it.



We went to the ward 'trunk-or-treat' last Saturday where Asher got some good practice and way more candy than any 2 year old needs. He loved it though and was rearing to go on the 31st. We had left our poor pumpkins whole until Halloween night, so when Corey came home from work we dug in and carved/drew up our masterpieces. Corey and I wielded knives, Asher had his markers (aka mockers). After proudly displaying our finished works of art on the porch, we ate dinner... chili and cornbread...a tradition I totally stole from a friend of mine (thanks Effie!). Then, the boys hit the pavement for some more sugary prizes, as if we needed any more. I went to the first few houses with them to witness for myself the candy hysteria. He yelled "trick-or-treat" as loud as he could, watched the candy get dropped into his pumpkin, and he was off running to the next house yelling "more candy!" By the third house he was practically grabbing the candy himself out of the bowls. People laughed, but I was horrified and we tried to convince him there was a better way. Halloween breeds candy greed so quickly in those susceptible toddlers!






Before I get any further I have to explain our costume situation. Asher's was straight off the isle at the store (we did buy a train whistle for him), but he loves Thomas the Train right now and he was really excited, so that one was ok. Corey and I had put off really planning any dressing up, and at the last second decided we'd give it at least a feeble attempt. I had some cat ears and a tail (boring, I know), and we threw a Dr. Horrible costume together for Corey. You know its bad when people have to ask what you are. After several years of regrettable Halloween effort, I am committing to some sort of costume theme next year. We will dress up, and our costumes will be in some way related, and WELL PLANNED! Maybe it will even be a family thing....I'll have to get on that as soon as I find out what this baby is. I, Michelle, hereby swear to do better next
year.
The family in all our costumed glory, and Asher enjoying the hard earned loot. I didn't get a picture of all his candy. Trust me, it was a lot. He will be sharing.



After doing the mandatory trick-or-treating, we loaded up some cookies, and headed to a party. Some friends of ours (the Allen's) were crazy enough to host a Halloween party for kids and adults! They turned their playhouse outside into a candy house. It was stocked inside with piles and plates of cookies and treats for all the kids on pint sized tables. A few kids even got a little creative and put some cookies on the grill. There was some dancing later on, and Asher was out there showing off his best moves. I think maybe he should have been the Energizer Bunny instead.


The "candy house", where Asher spent most of the party.



Me and Cor. I'm honestly not sure what made him put Asher's costume on, but doesn't he make a nice train with gloves and safety goggles?





It was a busy but fun night! Happy Halloween! Now on to Thanksgiving... is it bad that I had Christmas music on while I was blogging this?

10 comments:

Liz said...

The kid has mad dancing skills.

Alisha Joy said...

Cool Pumpkins! Jed and I threw our costume together last minute too, but we did a little better then you. =) I wish so bad I would have thought of Juno and Bleeker!! That would have been the funniest thing EVER!! Looks like you guys had a fun night. If you want to do a family theme you better do it in the next couple years . . . my kids are SUPER picky about what they are now and they are not into doing a theme.

Danna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danna said...

That kid has some mad dancing moves! I would have to say I think he takes after Corey. He always gives us a good laugh.

He made the cutest Thomas the Train! What a great idea! He was the only Thomas the Train I saw on halloween :)

As for your costume, don't feel bad. I ran to Walmart 30 minutes before work was supposed to start and was forced to buy a child size witches hat and some striped socks that I thought went rather nicely with my black maternity dress! BLAW! I too pledge to do better next year :)

J. Anderson Family said...

Your pumpkins look great!!! I think you guys are great to even attempt dressing up. Every year I really want to, but every year Halloween comes too quickly. I suppose I am going to have to make myself dress up now that I have Mason. I love the theme idea. :o)
Asher is a cute Thomas....
Halloween is definitely for the kids! Looks like Asher had a blast! Did he ever get his water?

Missy 'n Danny said...

Don't feel bad about your costume, I was so tired after dressing up the girls a million times that I just could not even throw anything together. Hannah was very disappointed.

Mindi B said...

Way fun!!! Don't you love Thomas the Train? Nice pumpkins! I was a lame mom this year; we didn't carve pumpkins. Love the dance moves. Lots of fun at your house!

Becky said...

I love that train costume! Cute!

Stephen and Effie said...

I like the pumpkin with the sunglasses. It is too bad you live so far apart Dallen could have a good time going to the Island of Sodor with Asher

Melissa said...

Very cute post! I love the video of Asher dancing - what a machine!