Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Maestro


I have been looking forward to today for quite some time now...the day that I had a child to watch in the annual Primary Program. My day arrived at last, and Asher did not disappoint. I knew we would need to be early to get a good seat, so we prepared accordingly and showed up 30 minutes early. Unfortunately, our ward is RIDICULOUS about saving seats and you must be at least 45 minutes early to get one. Or, you can send your child an hour early, throw down some scriptures on a pew and call it good when you walk in at ten til and your seat is just waiting for you (I guess I'd do it too if I could, but just knowing you can't beat the system is frustrating!). We sat at the front of the gym section though, and that was good enough, especially since we only sat there up until the program started.
Asher made Corey walk him up when it started, and I was sitting occupying Beckett when I heard very familiar and very loud crying from the front of the chapel. It was definitely my kid, definitely not wanting to participate. Luckily, he agreed to stay with his class as long as Corey sat on the front row where he could see him. Soon, Beckett and I joined him, because I figured I could see better from there anyway. His claim to fame for the day was his conducting abilities (which were unknown until today). With each song, he stood just ahead of his class and had his arms fully outstretched, fingers out (a bit like a monster) and was moving them to the beat with gusto. It was hilarious. The best part was that he was intent and all business about it, not being silly and laughing. He was reigned in after a few songs to keep order, but not before we had a few laughs. He also had a small speaking part ("I pick up my blocks") which he did shyly but well. I had a few people afterward tell me how funny he was, and that he should conduct the MoTab someday.
I am so glad I finally was able to watch one of my own children up there, with utter parental pride. Loved it!

6 comments:

Danna said...

I can't wait to experience that with my kids! I love the primary program it is always my favorite sacrament meeting of the year! Lot's of good laughs :)

Hi I'm Lindsey! said...

OH...we miss Asher. That would have been fun to see. I'm always so grateful for the kids that do the funny and entertaining things. What a cutie.

Missy 'n Danny said...

It's the best to see your child up there, it feels like your heart could explode to see them do things on their own. Love it!!

Pamela said...

Isn't it great!!

NatRat said...

I love the Primary programs...crazy that your ward saves seats that early. We still haven't had ours yet this year, anxiously awaiting it...I love Ashers cute outfit.

THE KNELL CREW said...

I am going to be laughing for quite sometime about the hand kiss! That is absolutely hilarious ;) Oh ya... yes mom was very strong...someone had to be because dad was freaking out! :)