Sunday, November 4, 2012

Halloween!

Halloween this year was the real deal.  Our kids are both at ages where they totally understand and appreciate that the holiday is all about dressing up, having fun and getting candy.  On a side note, I was hoping with all my might that at least Beck might want to be a cutie-pie animal of some sort. It was not to be, and I was disappointed.  At Costco, Corey showed them the cool boy costumes and it was over.  Asher came out with a Fighter Pilot costume and my 3 year old ended up being a member of a SWAT team (I was actually pulling for the Astronaut, which seemed somehow sweeter). They were beyond excited about their costumes, trying them on several times before the big day.  Corey and I were no fun at all this year and didn't plan anything, although at the last second, Cor came up with a rock star costume(ooohhh, how I wish I'd taken a pic) for the trunk-or-treat, so I guess it's just me that wasn't any fun!

We carved up some cool pumpkins, and on a note of garden-pride, the headless horseman one came right out of our backyard!  It was pretty cool to watch it grow, and the kids practically considered it a pet.  I think they turned out great this year though! We did help the boys...a lot...but trusting them with knives just isn't going to happen yet.  They grew tired of it fairly quickly anyway:)





We went to our ward trunk-or-treat, where the boys left with more than enough loot from games and trick-or-treating.  Then, the following night they topped it off by trick-or-treating on our street.  Wowsers.  So much candy. The boys were thrilled with their hard earned booty though.  Asher's candy of choice this year was...everything, and he organized it all into piles, just like we used to when we were kids. Beck was drawn to the suckers, namely the dum-dums, and not just one at a time. 



Halloween night we had a fun dinner of chili and cornbread with Adam and Kayla and then headed out into the night.  They both were really into it this year. Asher was trying to be speedy and run from house to house, while Beckett had a comment for every house.  For example, at one house he asked the woman at the door why her house wasn't decorated?  At another house he told them they had LOTS of candy, after which the owners offered him some more.  And still at another, he told the people what a cute dog they had.  Seriously, at every house he had something to share.  So, so funny.
After they came back, Asher helped hand out candy, which I actually think he liked doing as much as he liked getting the candy! 
 


We had some good Halloween fun this year! I am secretly holding out a smidgen of hope that one of my kids will want to be a cute, snuggly creature next year instead of something with a gun or a sword.  The big boy costumes are just another reminder that they're growing up!

1 comment:

Danna said...

They do look big in those costumes :( Thanks for sharing! Addy and I love seeing pictures of you guys. Miss you!