Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Love-ly Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day has not always been a favorite.  It seems like it's all built up and wadded into this one day when people pay quadruple amounts of cash for roses.  But. This year. Was just so fun.  Somehow, Valentine's Day was magical this year and I'm not really sure what to attribute that to, but I'm guessing it was just the whole day's events combined equaling a fun-loving day.

In the morning, the boys found a simple little 'super hero' valentine on the table with a little box of heart gummies, which Beckett ate immediately and Asher saved for later.  Then, for breakfast, I made them heart shaped pancakes.  My kids just love pancakes.  Somehow this pic was taken before the usual dousing of whipped cream took place. I took an excited Asher to school with Ninjago (I know, I know...Lego/Ninjago...AGAIN?!  That's what they wanted.) Valentines to share with his class.

Beck and I went to his playgroup later that morning.  He also handed out Ninjago Valentines to his little buddies.  My friend, Tami made heart cookies for the kids to decorate and had them put glittery letter stickers on bags for their Valentines.  They loved it:)  It was a fun morning of moms chatting, and happy sugared-up kids playing to their heart's content.  Tami sent all the mom's home with seriously decadent chocolate covered cheesecake bites, which I could have eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner and not been a bit sad about. Yum.

That evening, we had Spaghetti and Meatballs and the kids excitedly shared the day's fun times with Corey.  Oh, and when we decide not to do anything on V-day (primarily since we have a night to ourselves the very next evening), what does Corey do?  Answer:  comes home with a dozen lavender roses for moi, that's what.  What a fun surprise, and what a sweet guy.  They are happily blooming on my table.
Valentine's Day itself was just fun and enjoyable, and I felt none of the usual 'pressure' to love the day, even though I totally did.  Beckett kept saying throughout the day and into the night..."mom...I can't believe it's Valentine's Day!!" And Asher's decorated Valentine's bag from school had this written all over it..."Asher who likes Valentins Day is num. 1. Everyone in the hole world likes Valentins Day and every where you go there is Valentins Day!"   So funny.  It really was a nice little holiday to celebrate with my 3 Valentines!

P.S.  Corey and I swapped with Aaron and Meagan for a 'night out'. We decided to simply stay home and be comfy and cozy.  We made a fabulous dinner together of steak, mushroom risotto, with roasted asparagus and then some creme brulee for dessert.  It was wonderful cooking and eating together.  Th next morning we slept in a bit, then went to a late breakfast at Flying Star and did a little shopping. It was so very nice. I missed the boys though, when I realized that for the first time in 7 years, I wouldn't be checking on them before I went to sleep.  Our house was so unusually quiet!
We were excited to go and pick them up the next day:) It was a wonderful way to wrap up the Valentine's Day weekend!

No comments: