Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Ward Campout

Well we did it.  We finally went camping!  I haven't been camping in years...literally.  In fact, I think the last time I went was when Asher was 2!  The boys go every year with Corey for Fathers and Sons but of course, I don't go with them.  So, when our ward planned a campout for this year, we were in!  It's not that we don't like camping, we just always end up doing other things instead.  And camping in NM often means camping with fire restrictions and zero lakes or streams nearby, which to me is not camping, but more akin to suffering through a day in the dust without a bed to sleep in. 

The boys were excited and had so much fun running around with all of the boys from the ward.  Dirt, stinkbugs, s'mores, candy, fires, sticks, tents...they couldn't get enough.  And Dawson did well too... in fact, he slept better than I did. I was leery of camping with a baby and was gearing myself up for the worst, but to be honest it wasn't bad at all.  In the spirit of full disclosure, he did sleep in a pack and play, so we didn't exactly rough it with the little man.  But still. 
 

Asher had a fantastic time playing a football game called "500" and Beckett loved it when our Bishop found a snake and passed it off to Beckett to hold.  Beck also found a snakeskin that is now nestled in a container in his closet as his newest prized possession.  I loved visiting with friends, and watching my boys play to their hearts content.  And Corey had a good time eating breakfast burritos, shooting the breeze with friends, and playing with the boys.  I did give him a hard time about the quick light charcoal bag that he specifically requested (how could I not?) but honestly, who wants to wait for their charcoal to heat up for an hour so they can cook breakfast?  I'd have bought them anyway!


It was a great time and the boys are already asking about next year.  We really just need to go camping more!  My guess is that our future holds a LOT of camping, especially with these 3 fun boys around.  I'm just glad we broke my no camping streak...it was definitely time. 








No comments: