Monday, August 18, 2008

Summoned

I feel fortunate to have gone thirty years without being called upon for Jury Duty. My lucky streak finally ran out when I opened a letter from the Second District Court. Bummer. I was stressing out and completely horrified, trying to conjure up some legitimate reason for not being able to do it. The fact that I stay at home with Asher, and don't have any kind of normal childcare routine made it especially annoying. Where can he go for a 9 hour day?? How could I possibly inconvenience any of my friends that badly? I know I'm not alone in feeling this way because I actually have a friend who brought her little boy with her to prove she didn't have childcare, and thus could not possibly do jury duty. I didn't have the guts to do something so bold. So I have been dutifully checking each night to see if in fact I will be forced to go downtown. My chance finally came today. There was my number, 144, staring me in the face. I think I re-checked it at least 3 times to make sure I was really seeing it right. A very kind friend in the ward had pity on me and let Asher come over to play(aka fight with her 3 year old, no doubt), and I was off. The upside: I read a big chunk of Breaking Dawn and was able to finish it yesterday; the Downside: I'm not done yet, I still have 4 days left of suspense.



Although it was pretty interesting to see how the selection process all works, I was really crossing my fingers I didn't get picked. In the end, it turns out I am not a desirable candidate for a criminal case for aggravated assault. The most entertaining part of the morning was when one of the men on my panel raised his hand and started ranting to the judge about how he believes everyone is guilty until proven innocent! He went on for a couple of minutes about his whole theory and the rest of us had a good laugh. I don't think he was picked either.

I know the power of the jury is the crux of our whole judicial system, keeping us from tyranny and all, but until kids are in school or I enter the "golden years" of my life, I think I'll keep on crossing my fingers that my turn will be skipped right over. I'll let someone else have that honor instead.

10 comments:

Mindi B said...

Amen! I don't know how in the world I would find someone for all of my kids to watch if I was ever called to jury duty. I think I'd have to bring lots of pictures and convince the judge, I'm a better civil servant at home. I'm glad you didn't get picked. whew!

Bella said...

hahahah I hear you there! I wouldn't like to get picked either. Well, congrats on not getting picked and I will talk to you later! CALL me and we can talk Breaking Dawn.

Jackie Pettit said...

I am so glad you didn't get picked! What a relief!

Liz said...

I literally get called to Jury duty every freaking year! This year, it is Grand Jury which lasts three months. Come October, I'll be a slave to our court system. I hope you make it through the week unscathed!
PS~ What did you think of Breaking Dawn? I loved it...

Danna said...

Well, it is unfortunate that you had to go at all, but at least on the bright side you didn't get picked for the actual hearing! I think I would be more terrified if I was picked for that! Anyway, I am glad exciting things are happening in your life so I can read about them. I just love reading your stories! You always make them so funny. You should become a writer!

Becky said...

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I think it would be cool to be called to jury duty! Especially if it was an exciting criminal case! It's probably boring stuff though...

Pamela said...

I actually want to be on a jury sometime, I think it sounds so fascinating. Oh Breaking Dawn is good!

Jan said...

I would have to agree with Becky and the last comment. I think it would be cool to experience the justice system from the jury side, but also , like you said maybe in my golden years. (or maybe just not when my hubby's in Law School-maybe that is some of the appeal for me now) I remember Ing telling her story about her Jury Summons and I am totally taking all my kids in with me!!!!! I had to take a traffic ticket to court and there was a mom of 2 boys that got out of a speeding ticket and she brought them with her! I got a sitter and had to take a driving class. Power to the MOM!
-Janalee

Cheryl J. said...

I had to go to jury duty when Brooke was 1 or 2 (Brent would have been 6 and Brian 9). I actually got picked for a three day trial. I must admit, it was cool. It was a drug case. I remember being so impressed with myself when I figured out holes in the guy's story through all my analyzing of the evidence...LOL. It was a PAIN to take Brooke to someone to watch her though. Greg just got summoned, but I think he should be able to get out of it due to having patients who cannot be treated without him.

Alisha Joy said...

Why didn't they call me!?!?!??? I have always wanted to be picked . . . but, alas, I have not been called. I would want to be the foreman . . . I've actually had dreams about how great it would be to speak for the people. I think I'd cry if I didn't get picked.