Friday, September 26, 2008

Stitched Up

Yesterday afternoon we dropped Asher off at a friend's house and headed to the hospital for my cerclage. It has a fancy sounding name, but isn't a really complicated or lengthy procedure...thank goodness. After checking in and waiting for a bit I make it downstairs to the pre-op area where the hooked up my IV. After that....more waiting, as this is after all a hospital. My surgery was scheduled for 3:30, and, big surprise I wasn't wheeled into the operating room until 4:30. They administered a spinal injection (oh, so fun) and got to work, a little too quickly in my opinion because I was still feeling more than I'd have liked. But, I knew that the more anesthesia they gave me, the longer I'd be in recovery and still at the hospital, and the less stuff going through my body the better for the baby's sake, right? It really wasn't too bad just a little discomfort. My position during this procedure is a little, oh, precarious and awkward shall we say?

Then it was off to the recovery area for me. There is one major detail I haven't yet mentioned...as everyone knows, surgery equals NO FOOD OR DRINK. My doc said I could eat at 6 AM, so I crammed a piece of bread and some water down and rolled back to bed. A late afternoon surgery time does NOT bide well for a pregnant lady. No food, all day, are you joking? I think not being able to eat might have distracted me from thinking about what was coming most of the day, but that was the only upside. I was in recovery until 7:30 before my nurse let me know that, although it's not allowed, Corey would be coming down with some food...they'd just pull the curtain around us. Hallelujah! Once he came down with my Subway sandwich, soup and water I found out how he'd maneuvered all the glorious contraband food. He'd been letting the check-in guy upstairs (first name basis now...Patrick) watch his ipod...some random show called Dr. Horrible's Musical Blog. Corey asked about food for me, and voila! A call was made downstairs, and soon I was saved! A little sharing with the right person and you get the hook-up!

It still took us until just before 11 PM to finally get outta that place. It doesn't matter what you do, you can't will your body to be un-numb. I tried for hours to wiggle my toes and had no results whatsoever. By that time I was grumpy and irritated, and just wanted out. Asher had been long asleep at the Symes house (he had a lot more fun than we did, and what great friends to help us out like that!), but we picked him up anyway and headed for home.

Corey's taking care of us all for the weekend while I lay low for a few days. The surgery went well and we are happy that the baby should now stay safely inside. Yah!

16 comments:

Liz said...

I am so glad that everything worked out great, if not late, today. I've had two spinals for my c-sections and they were surprisingly not as bad as I thought they would be, but yes it takes forever to be un-numb. Blech! YAY for Patrick being A-OK with the food/bribe, :).

Alisha Joy said...

Oh good!! I've been thinking about you so much lately. I can't even imagine going that long without food when your prego. I have to eat constantly or I feel like I'm going to hurl. It's doing wonders for my figure. :) But I am so happy everything has gone well thus far. We have you in our prayers still. Diesel blesses all the babies to be safe in their mommies tummies.

Mindi B said...

What a pain to have to go through. I am glad that it will make your pregnancy better though! I cannot stand having numb legs!!! I had one natural birth and it was so nice to not have any numbness after delivery! I wish you the best!

Danna said...

Oh good, I am glad everything went alright! We were praying for you :) I don't know how you managed to not eat for that long! It must have made you so sick!I'm glad you got your subway though :)

Cheryl J. said...

I'm so glad things went well! Call me if you need anything over the next few months!

The Albuquerque Sheps said...

Oh yeah!! I am so glad that things went well. I am so excited for you guys. What a blessing. By the way...I love the Dr. Horrible Musical Blog! It's hilarious...ok back to more serious stuff, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

THE PRINCE FAMILY said...

I am so glad that everything is going well with you and the baby!! And that is so exciting that you are pregnant!! What a blessing.

jen said...

I posted a comment last night but my computer blanked out and it looks like it didn't stick....Anyway, i'm so happy for you that you guys are on the path to a safe and healthy pregnancy.

Becky said...

Yeah! I'm glad it went well. I'll be thinking of you.

Stephen and Effie said...

I know you must have moments of weekness, but you always seem to have the best attitude about all of this. For a delicious salty snack go get Pirate's Booty with real aged cheddar. It will be with the organic chips or popcorn. You could also get cannon balls made by the same people, you will be happy you did.

Missy 'n Danny said...

you and your baby are in our prayers every night, that stinks that you had such a late surgery we got lucky with Addy she always had early morning surgeries. Thank goodness for the little things that make it easier, like sneaky food from such a great husband.

Melody said...

I bet you're so glad to have that overwith, even though I know it's still a long road ahead. You're such a trooper to have such a positive attitude! Hang in there! And yes, it's STILL hot here, but we hear nicer weather is on its way, so we're hopin'!

The Mortensen Clan said...

I am soooo glad everything worked out, and also CONGRATS I am SO excited for you guys. I miss you.

Pamela said...

I hope that you are feeling ok, make sure to call me if you need anything at all!

Unknown said...

We are so excited for you!! I guess Corey is a good guy after all.Thanks Corey for giving Jeff a ride!! He (jeff) is such a mooch!!

brianna saban said...

I AM SO GLAD YOU'VE BEEN STITCHED!!!!!!!
you are such a trooper...but also a wonderful mother.
you are going to be blessed with a happy, HEALTHY baby.
i just know it.

LOVE YOU!!!!

~b