Monday, May 4, 2020

Homebody Report, Week 3

Welp.  Here we go again.  I'm enjoying blogging our family more regularly again, I'm just not loving the reason why I'm better at doing it.  Boo Coronavirus, boo.  Anyway, our family life is actually going well, and everyone is busy and improving in different ways, so I'm loving that.

 This week, Dawson was able to do a drive by type visit to the preschool to see his teachers and pick up some seeds to plant.  Getting out to do something for any reason at all is so novel right now, so that was fun!  Dawson also wanted to make banana muffins...with jam in the middle, which is something we've never tried, and it was surprisingly yummy!


Beckett was really into trying some crazy scooter antics this week.  He had us video some of them, and has aspirations of getting sponsored.  Apparently that's a thing, so he's going to keep on practicing.  Beckett has also mastered his front flip on the trampoline and can now land on his feet! He's settling into doing remote learning with Google classroom, and although he's frustrated with the time it takes to get everyone going, he is doing well.  Beckett also taught us about native American culture, particularly ones regarding the nearby Laguna pueblo.  He made and painted some clay pots, which turned out really cool!  We've each started picking topics of interest to share throughout the week, and have called them 'mini-Ted talks' for fun.  We figured it was something we could do at dinner sometimes to mix things up!



Asher made Stromboli for dinner this week and did a great job.  I need to start taking pictures of their food more (Beckett's meal this week was Thai Yellow Curry, also delish)!  They're learning techniques and tips I didn't know as an adult (my own fault of course...no interest or time).  Asher had a great 3rd quarter at school with excellent grades and is now starting 4th quarter but with only pass/fail options to accommodate the pandemic situation.  He's doing great with his remote class options now though too.


Corey has officially fixed ALL of our bikes.  Mine was a complete disaster and hadn't been ridden since I was a few months pregnant with Dawson, which was about 6 years ago.  It was bad, really bad.  Like, so bad that Cor had to order parts and tools to make things happen, and it was over a couple of Saturdays, so the moment when I sat on my trusty blue steed and drove away without anything falling off behind me was truly a triumphant moment for him.  Way to go Corey!! We went on a little ride up 'Booty Hill' and it was actually really great.  I can't wait to go with the whole family sometime soon.  Also, teaching Dawson is on the docket, so that's exciting.  Another huge task Corey took on was starting up the swamp coolers.  Every year takes a day or two, or a couple of weekends to get it all going right.  He did it all in an afternoon, and enlisted the help of the boys too so they could learn a few things.  Things are nice and cool, and just in time since the highs have been hitting the 90's! We went on a mini date this weekend...went on a drive up the hill as the sun was going down, and on the radio they were playing ONLY Christmas music, which was bizarre and funny.



This week I was busy too.  I finally planted my garden, at least what I've grown from seed so far although I'd love to get my hands on a few more things since some of my seeds are old and didn't sprout.  I restained our hanging chair.  I hated it too much so I had to redo it.  It was so ugly and looked like a piece of shiny shellacked furniture from the 70's, but not at all in that cool retro way.  Anyway, I'm glad that's behind me and I don't want to see a sander for at least a couple of weeks.  My sourdough obsession continues.  This week I made sourdough English muffins, and some amazing cinnamon raisin swirl bread which everyone loved except for Dawson who cried when he saw the raisins.  They were not happy tears.  I ran 4 miles with Corey on Saturday, and as a non-runner, that was a feat of bravery! While doing dishes on Saturday I may have screamed a little when some slight movement caught my eye.  I looked up and saw a good sized bull snake slithering across the lawn in front of me.  Ack!  The boys and I watched a bit and then finally corralled him out of the gate and back to the arroyo where he belongs! Corey, watched safely from inside and was rooting for us to get him out asap.  That was one of the more exciting events of the week!







Our walks have been awesome.  We love seeing the quail, the rabbits, hawks, and especially the great horned owls.  I still haven't gotten a great photo...I forgot to grab my zoom lens and so this is the best we have.  I'm going to try again though!



On a sadder note, our friend Harold Rushton passed away unexpectedly this week.  He had improved and everyone though he was on the mend, but then I signed on to Facebook one morning to find he had died.  We were shocked and so saddened by this loss.  It's the only person we've known personally who has had Covid-19, and it was so bad from the start.  He was the kindest man and I know his family and wife will miss him greatly.  Thankfully, the gospel can help bridge the gap between sorrow and hope. We will continue to pray for their family to have peace.


No comments: