Monday, May 11, 2020

Homebody Report, Week 4


Okidoke. This week was busy but fun.  Being home all the time doesn't mean we're sitting around, no sir! We started the week with 'May the 4th', you know...Star Wars Day.  We have boys, so this is a fun one.  I made up some BB8 pancakes in the morning, the kids (and Corey later on) all wore Star Wars shirts, Dawson worked on the letters Bb and the number 8, and made a BB8 out of paper plates, and then chocolate cut out Star Wars cookies to round off the day.  We probably should've watched some movies, but, it was a school night, haha. Beckett and Dawson have been painting rocks like crazy, and Beckett had me register one on GoRock.com.  B's Mario rock is SO awesome, and Dawson's sweet "Feel Goy (joy)" was really cute too.  Their approaches are totally different.  Beck wants others to find and take his rocks, while Dawson wants his to stay in our own garden for us to enjoy. Funny. Dawson continued on with a bit of the making forts theme this week, but instead had his tent up in his room.  Bedroom camping is the way to go!  He is loving it.  I'm thinking it may be time to take it down, but I might be easily persuaded not too...we'll see.







Asher has been doing/planning online activities for his quorum the past month and I'm so proud of him for trying to keep things rolling.  He's loved being able to see people and hang out that way.  This past week, Brother Passey made a Jeopardy game for it and they had a great time.  For dinner, Asher whipped up some homemade Mac n cheese.  Beckett made sloppy joes, something I have actually never made, for shame!  I remember eating it as a kid but had just never made it so it was a first for us both!


The boys have all needed haircuts so I finally broke out the clippers and scissors.  All three are now sporting shorter, more summery haircuts and looking better for it! We started up our puzzle this week too....Dawson is killing it, which was a big surprise. It's and Eric Dowdle one we did a few years back but decided to start with it since it's an AZ Diamondbacks Stadium one....in honor of our canceled trip to AZ for Spring Training.  Ah, well.  Maybe next year....maybe?  Oh!  And on a more exciting note, the pool is now open!  It's still too cold, and we had to order a new vacuum but everyone is excited to be able to swim soon. Summer is coming!

This week on the bread front, I did make a couple more sourdough cinnamon swirl loaves, and there will be no crying this time because I left out the raisins.  Corey used it for Mother's Day French toast, and it was delish.  I also tried making one batch but shaped and baked one loaf into a boule and one into a loaf, just to see.  It worked well.  Yay! Corey, Asher and I ran on Saturday morning, but we ran UP Booty Hill, much to my dismay.  I did it.  But it wasn't pretty.  Actually, I think there were about 20 feet left because I stopped at the last marker, thinking I was there.  It's okay though, I'm sure I'll get another chance to die trying.  Ugh.  I inherited a grouping of house plants this week from Sister Nims.  She generously offered a bunch up and I was thrilled to pick some up.  I've been perusing the internet for house plant ideas, and she saved me a bundle!  I've now repotted all but 2 tiny aloe plants.  There's a pothos, a wandering jew, a string of bananas and some aloe vera plants happily living with us.  I'm so excited!



This week was also our anniversary!  I told ya, busy!  I busted out the ol’ dress for fun.  As a gift I gave Corey a Lego SLC temple, which Dawson couldn’t wait to help with.  Corey and I had decided to made a fancy dinner at home and celebrate with the boys.  We put out the white tablecloth, cloth napkins, goblets, flowers, made them dress up and served them up some fried mushroom bites, grilled romaine lettuce, ribeye steaks with baked potatoes, and some fabulous crème brulee.  The food was divine.  Seriously.  And it was the best crème brulee I've ever made....thanks again New York Times!  It was fun celebrating with the boys too. They were not thrilled with the part where they had to dress up, except for Asher who didn’t care as long as he was getting a steak out of the deal. Cor and I went on a nice walk after dinner and then watched a movie together (Ford vs Ferrari...great!) to top it off though.

 

 

Mother's was on Sunday, and was the cap off for a week full of food and fun.  Corey and the boys made me a beautiful breakfast.  It was so good and they even made me my favorite Kneader's syrup.  I could drink that stuff, but that would not be good.  We had a nice church service, with Asher giving a talk on family, and Beckett playing a hymn.  Right before church, Beck came to me with about 6 ties around his neck (he learned how to tie a tie a few weeks back and caught on quick, ha), showing me he was just like the guy who does the online sharing time (Brandon Osmond).  The bishopric had the men come get a sweet sugar cookie to deliver to the women, which was a yummy little token, and then we talked to Corey's family on Zoom.  The evening ended with a yummy roast dinner and chocolate poke cake.  I don't need to eat for a week after the way we plodded thru last week.  Food does make things more fun though, so I am officially thankful for good and fun foods that make life a little better while we stay home.





On the Covid front...we hear there may be meat shortages, although it hasn't been too apparent yet, I still can't get my hands on any 10 pound hand weights, the doctors are finding that it affects most body systems in some way, when there are symptoms, or when there aren't, and later this week we will find out in what ways the state will start reopening things.  There’s also a new syndrome affecting children, but they can’t figure out exactly how it’s related to Covid, which is strange and unnerving.  It's going to be a long road I think, with some hiccups along the way.  I hope not though.




No comments: