Monday, May 18, 2020

Homebody Report, Week 5

This past week was busy with all the same things and a few different! 

The boys did school work, piano (actual virtual lessons will begin again on Monday, woohoo!), chores, and fun.  They three of them played together a lot this week.  Things would get VERY quiet downstairs, and when I found them it was in Beckett or Asher’s rooms with the door closed.  They could be found having basketball games with a Little Tikes hoop on one end of the room, and a back of the door one at the other.  Other days, I found them having what they called, “Battlebot” events in Beckett’s room complete with blankets lining the ‘arena’ and drones flying around for a halftime show!  I love how creative they’re getting and they can all do something together despite the age differences.  

Asher made a clever little double helix DNA strand out of legos for school this week.  He also chose to make Orange Chicken this week and it was YUMMY.  He also took up reading to the fam a few nights this week as we began a new book...Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh.  I used to love the movie as a kid and the book has been great too!  Can’t wait to watch it with the kiddos when we finish.
Beckett has been working hard at school, and whipped up some awesome Broccoli Cheese Soup for dinner this past week.  He and Dawson were dying to get into the pool, and Beckett logged the most time by far!  Everyone except for me has now been in the pool, but B is the only one who says it’s not bad at all.  He’s crazy!  He’s also concocting a plan and proposal for us to buy some actual Battlebots for our proposed staycation in July.  Nowhere much to go right now, but we still want to have some fun this summer!  The boys are coming to us with ideas of what we can do, and so far Beckett is focusing on persuasion, haha.
Dawson informed me this past week that he didn’t ever get to be Star Student!  What?!  He was right though.  Every kiddo at preschool gets a day to tell everyone about themselves, etc and with Covid, he didn’t get his turn yet, so we made that happen right here at home with a poster, crown and breakfast of choice! It was so fun and I think our makeshift special day may have been even better than the real deal.  Also, Dawson told me he wants a turn making dinner, so this next week he’ll be in the rotation.  Cutie. 

We are really liking this working from home thing for Corey.  The commute rocks, we still see him for lunch and he’s off early enough to hang out a bit before we make dinner.  We’re feeling a little spoiled with our new found extra Corey time, and giving it up will be hard.  We are SO hoping for some more flexibility after things are up and rolling again.  Corey and Asher have decided we should run a 10k.  Ummmmm.  I did 4 again on Saturday, which is huge, but I don’t love it, so that’ll really be pushing it for me I think.  I always like a challenge though, so we’ll see.  Saturday we went thru some of our garage boxes with high school and childhood stuff, and Corey found loads of scout stuff that the boys were wowed by.  Also, an entire box of baseball cards has been hibernating for quite some time, so they’re excited about those too.  
I had a devastating sourdough malfunction early in the week.  I pulled it out to feed it and the jar must have been so cold that my clanking as I stirred caused the bottom of the jar to break right out!  My new baby starter is on the counter and should be ready in a couple more days.  So stupid though! I tried a brioche recipe but it was just ok and will definitely try again.  I also went thru a box of high school stuff and just had to try on a cheer uniform for fun.  I could lose a couple pounds but I did get myself squeezed into the skirt. I’m wondering if others are going thru all of their old crap in the garage too?   Oh, and I have covid hair, or that’s what I’m calling it.  It’s red, so that’s a first, but I’ve always thought it’d be fun to try so figured now was as good a time as any since fewer people see me than ever.  It’s fun, but since I’m a chicken to go permanent it will wash out in a month or so.  Semi-permanent is a little more my speed, plus I never minded my blonde hair, so it’ll be nice to have that back when this washes away.  

Our home church service was nice again, and it’s been so fun having the boys play the piano hymns (simplified).  While Corey was going through his mission pics and sharing his mission experiences on Sunday, he came across this gem, and hesitated to share it with me.  I about died when I saw him all suited up in protective bee gear.  What?!  I wanted to have a hive sooooo bad about a year and a half ago, but he’s not really a fan unless it’s really far from our house.  This showed me there may still be hope...someday?  Too funny. 
We finished up the puzzle this week and are ready to pull out another, thanks mostly in part to Corey and Dawson.  We are glad to have the pool and will be using it a ton this summer!  It’s not likely that the boys will get to do swim team or water polo and they’re so sad about that.  That’s been the epitome of summer for the past few years, so we will feel it’s absence for sure.  I finally made up some homemade masks for the family, although I still need kid sized ones for D.  I think I’ve got the hang of it so it shouldn’t be too bad.  Restrictions loosened up slightly too...retail is open but at 20% capacity, smaller groups can gather, and masks are needed when in public.  I’m looking forward to the next phase or two for sure.  




No comments: