Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wii be gamin'


Since the day we were married, I made it VERY clear to Corey that we would never have a gaming system in our house. In my mind (and from first hand experience) the machines could only breed contention...fighting, jealousy, rage, unhealthy competitiveness. Plus they waste and monopolize time in a monstrous way. EVIL contraptions...that's what my theory has always been.

So....now is the part where I eat my words. Pregnancy must have gobbled up any rationality I had left, because I found myself thinking that maybe it was a good time to get one. I wanted to surprise Corey (BOY, would he have been surprised. I'm kind of disappointed I didn't get to see the look on his face), but I didn't have a clue as to which one we should get. So, I mentioned it to him. His initial response was absolute surprise, but that he thought he was past that and we didn't need one. Throughout the following week, I spied him searching Amazon, Walmart, Target and Costco for info on, you guessed it, gaming systems (past that phase indeed). Then a few days after that he loaded Asher into the car on a Thursday night, drove to Costco, and bought a Wii. His rationale for choosing this particular system was that it is more interactive, and a good choice for families. Hmmm.
Corey and his bro Aaron playing Mario Kart. Who do you think is winning?

The Wii has actually been fun, and my normally competitive nature hasn't kept me from playing, even though I am and always have been ridiculously awful at playing these games. Corey has already bought some other games, had his brother and friends over for a go, and is accumulating a list of desired games ("I think Asher would really like this one," he says. Sure he would).
Asher does love it though, whether it's for the games themselves, or just playing and hanging out with us. His absolute favorite is "Rolling Ball" which is actually Bowling. He has invented his own approach, which resembles something closer to pitching a fast ball. I've tried it for myself and can't seem to get it to work. I am totally confounded that it works at all, but work it does, getting him both spares and strikes.

Align CenterCheck out his killer wind up:

5 comments:

Danna said...

That is hillarious. Why is it when we try to bowl with correct techniques we don't do near as good as a child who pulls somethin' like that! :) Kylie does the same thing to us!

Corey looks like a kid in a candy store!

Pamela said...

I am with you, not a big video game fan. But we played the Wii one night with two other couples and it was a blast! Keith wants to get the Wii Fit. Supposedly it is pretty awesome. If you ever want to have a Wii night let us know, we'll bring the food :)

THE KNELL CREW said...

That is the cutest video! It is amazing how kids can play the games as well as they do, all three of mine absolutely love the wii. I have to say that wii fit is great as well, the problem is finding the time to do it!

Cheryl J. said...

Too funny Michelle! We have a Wii and my kids and their friends play Mario Kart EVERY TIME BRENT comes home for a visit! They stay up until the wee (not Wii) hours of the night playing that game :-) I love our Wii Fit and need to do it some more.

Stephen and Effie said...

I remember your stories of your early married days and Corey with your friends game system, I cannot believe you gave in. Congrats to Corey on winning that battle by being passive agressive and on passing the bar